Sunday, October 19, 2008

A trip down Memory Lane - Harleysville, PA Oct 19, 2008

I remember Mom saying, "I better put out a note for the milkman, we need an extra gallon for the weekend."

About every 2 months a local organization of antique automobile restorers has a get-together in the parking lot of the local Wal-Mart. For many years I've noticed them, but always busy going somewhere, I passed it buy. Today I stopped in with Victoria. Fortunately Vic had her camera with her.



The cars are amazing - sparkling clean throughout - including the engine compartment. The most interesting thing I saw was a perfectly preserved 1957 milk truck. It brought back memories of when I was a boy in Lafeyette Hills, Pa.


See the metal box on the right in the first picture? All the houses on our block had one of those at the front door, and every two days the milkman would come by in his milk truck at an unGodly hour (like 5 AM!) and deliver a gallon of milk.















Sadly the milkman is a dying profession today.
And we are all a little bit poorer for that loss.


To the left was a really nice collection of milk bottle caps.









To the left is a really pretty turquoise car.








No comments: