Saturday, June 14, 2008

Atlantic White Flash Service Station


Everyone near where I live has noticed what appears to be a perfectly preserved service station from about 70 years ago. In fact with a sign that says "Reg 13cents" the running joke is "hey why don't we stop here for gas."










I stopped today to take some pictures and was shocked when I looked through the window to see a perfectly preserved old notion store. The gentleman who lives there did not want publicity so I won't mention the location - but it seems he loves antiques and this is his house.


Had I known this was someone's home I would never have been so brazen as to peek through thte window. Nevertheless he was kind enough to let me in so I could take some pictures.


















What a great way to live and great hobby.































4 comments:

Unknown said...

We stopped too thinking it was a new store. Last year we watched it being restored. What a great thing to do! The gentleman deserves a great deal of credit. But he can't be think he isn't goin to get curiosity seekers - it is on a main road and rather obvious.

Unknown said...

We stopped there yesterday thinking it was a new store. We watched it being restored last year. I give the gentleman a lot of credit for doing all that work. However, he can't believe that people are not going to stop - it is on a busy street, rather obvious and sticks out.

Tom Blair said...

Yeah Paula I give him a lot of credit too. He has a fine eye for that style of antique and design. He's done quite a job. But he seemed remarkably blase about it - it is such a museum I simply walked up to it, tried the door, and started looking through the window - and when he came to the door to tell me it was his home I was a bit embarrassed. He was gracious to let me in a look around.

Jo said...

My daughter and I passed this -- what do I call it? -- gas station? Home? Shop? Anyway, we passed it a couple of times over Christmas weekend and were curious. Now I wish we'd stopped for a closer look!