Monday, May 26, 2008

A Tree Falls in Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania



As I blogged last October ( Dead Tree In My Back Yard ) there was a huge dead tree in my back yard leaning towards the house. I intended to cut it down piecemeal from the top; a little bit at a time. After last October I realized that would be too time consuming and frankly a bit dangerous.

Well Memorial Day, with help of a friend I finally brought it down.



Me & Mark








There's the tree.


























Vic the videographer.











Jenny standing triumphantly over the downed tree.

4 comments:

someone said...

Too funny folks :)

could you feel us praying . . . ?!

glad it worked -

Tom Blair said...

Hey there Connie - I think your prayers must have helped. One thing I did not mention in this article - the tree's fall was a bit miraculous - it fell through through a small slot and did almost no damage to the other trees or the backyard.

And thanks for being such a great dancer in Joseph !!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh ... there are a few things about chain saw safety to consider when doing this. Sorry, it's the arborist in me. Glad no one was hurt! [Dave Tukey]

Tom Blair said...

Dave!!! Great to hear from you my Tosca, tree-climbing friend. Yeah - you are right. I was pretty naive 3 years ago. I was climbing the tree 50 feet up and cutting it down a piece at a time until I finally figured this isn't going to work. I realize now how dangerous that was. I do have a 16-inch Huskevarna chainsaw. I have a couple other big monsters that are dead and need to come down - neither of them leans toward the house so it's not urgent. But I'd like to harvest them for the firewood - my woodstove is a wonderful and warm thing.

I have enjoyed climbing trees over the years but I am not nearlys so strong now as I was 10 years old. Nice to know you. Let me know when you go climbing again.